Voco Protesta - "Vojo Al Libereco" 12" 2009

I love basic midpace discore. Minimalism at it's maximum has always fascinated me, so if it's played and produced like Doom's Peel Sessions or E.N.T.'s solo debut, I'm down (and if it's simpler, I just limbo lower!). Japan's Voco Protesta traces these templates smoothly enough, with a tighter spiritual focus on this 12" than any of their other efforts, pre or post. There's a glaze of intimidating braindrill as always, but it never overtakes the live-ish mix. The band continues to say fuck you to everybody's racism and still sings in Esperanto. It's not a mindblowing record or even saying anything unique, but it's solid and familiar in warm instead of lazy ways. Sometimes that's all it takes to earn a "classic" respect from me.

P.S.: Actually, the closing title track is mindblowing.