Death Side - "Wasted Dream LP / Satisfy The Instinct EP" 1987-1989 CD 1991 (Selfish)

I've gotten it in my head the past few months Poison Idea's possible influence on later 80's Japanese Hardcore (mostly stemming from a revisit of their "Kings Of Punk" LP). I define traditional Japcore as exhausting rhythm tatted with acceptable metal elements like short screaming solos and upbeat leads, super chorusy breakdowns, and notation so melodramatic you wonder if the bands are just trying to get your attention with extremity for it's own sake. It's crossover really, but more hardcore than hard rock...like Poison idea. Maybe I'm connecting dots that aren't really there, but Pushead always kept a strong alliance with Japan...and he did put out Kings Of Punk...seuoooooo...maybe?

If I'm wrong, so be it, but I'm not wrong on Death Side completely owning the style (whatever the roots), keeping the adrenalin pumping with major label level production that still shits it's guts out over any modern recording you can think of. Metal, punk, MTV as fuck, doesn't matter, all guts have been fully shat. There's times their vibe gets a bit macho, but that seems like most people's attraction to them anyway ("I listen to hardcore so I AM hardcore!"). The band maintains a very high degree of popularity today, with former singer Ishiya still tripping balls on "bootlegs" of the band's merch. Ishiya, we love your meter-long mohawks, but you can stop beating off that skeletonized horse (wear boots = don't cry over boots). Fave track: Cut The Throat!