In Slaughter Natives - "Insanity & Treatment" 3xCD 2011



"I know you've been making music since 1988, which is really already a long time and you joined the famous Cold Meat Industry label...
In fact, it was even earlier, I think in 1987 or yes, maybe indeed 1988. I had known Roger Karmanik for many years before that. I knew his wife since 1982 or something like that. He was working in the music industry and he asked me: you've got to release something. I thought: yeah I can do that and he said: you need to be ready. So I had to quickly finalize everything. That's how the first cassette came out.

Now it's really a legendary label...
Well, you know there was a connection between all the bands back then. In the beginning, everything was based in a small place called Linköping in Sweden, only 50.000 people lived there. It was only 2 hours of driving from Stockholm where I used to live. Most of the bands were friends, we knew each other very well. As it was a small town it was very easy to do things together.

Why did you choose to make the kind of music you are making and how did you choose the name?
Well, I had the feeling I had to come up with something. I had a master tape and was wondering what I should do with it, stick to it or do something else. I had done other styles and music before. I tried other things, but I slowly came back to the thing I had made. Somehow I kept coming back to the same thing and decided to simply go for it. It was in me and it was like it was meant to be. It just happened. When I make music it's not that I have a plan. I just make music as it comes, I don't think about selling or about record deals. And about the name, well, you can't say the name 'In Slaughter Natives' is proper English, but nobody cares. I just loved it and it felt good to do things the way I did them. I wasn't thinking about the name, it just came later. I just liked the combination of the words.

Do you have your own record studio where you can just do whatever you want, whenever you want?
Yes, I'm totally independent and can do whatever I want. This is very important for me. In the early days, it was very expensive and you needed much more material than now. Now it's so much easier, and the technology doesn't cost that much anymore. Now I have the feeling that i have too much gear to work with. Before you couldn't do much, because you needed so much equipment and it was very expensive. You had to work with the little equipment you had. I must say that saving things is much easier than before. You can just record something and leave it for a longer time and come back on it when you feel ready for it. Before, you really had to save everything and it took some time before it was all done in a proper way. Now it's so easy.

Can you tell us something about the 3xCD ‘Insanity & Treatment’? How did you come up with the idea of the 3xCD box? It captivates the atmosphere very well. Can you tell more about it?
Honestly, it was not my idea to do it. Nick, the guy from the Russian label, Infinite Fog Productions, wrote to me and asked for it. I like him, he's a nice guy."


Debut cassette: