Greymachine - "Disconnected" CD & "Vultures Descend" 12" (Discography 2009 FLAC)



"Greymachine. How did the collaboration come about? Why Aaron Turner specifically? Did you feel he was essential to personal goals for the project, or was it a mutual admiration thing?

It started as a solo project with a few loose concepts; something grimy, noisy, punk, absorbing most musics I find to have a strong sense of attack/defence, music that has influenced me since I was a kid. Once I had picked up pace recording, Dave Cochrane was someone I immediately hoped to get involved; we hadn't worked together for a number of years and I considered him someone who would appreciate where this project was going and would fit in well to the sound. Aaron and I had been discussing doing something together for some time, seemed it would probably be something guitar drone based, but since Aaron and I had both been discussing our mutual like of extreme musics again, it felt natural to invite him into this project. Diarmuid Dalton was obvious too...

Did you have any personal goals going into Disconnected? Inspirations, etc...?

I wanted to do something that was as close as possible to the same set of emotions that would be unearthed from listening to, say, Swans' Filth, Sonic Youth's Confusion Is Sex, Dillinja's Thugs, No U Turn Input, The Stooges first album, Flipper, Abruptum, Public Enemy's first two albums, No Trend's When Death Won't Solve Your Problem etc etc etc etc... this sense of excitement, threat and abstraction gleaned from these records, coupled with a general sense of misanthropy, which clearly fuels a lot of my work."

--Justin Broadrick 2009 for Brooklyn Vegan